Childbirth is a beautiful process. However, it is also painful and traumatic for the mother, even if all the negative and complicated aspects are forgotten once the baby is held in the arms. There are two alternatives for bringing a child to the world. Natural childbirth is the first option and this is how nature concludes a delivery between the 38th and 42nd week of pregnancy. The second is caesarean section, which consists of a surgical procedure to extract the baby from his mother’s womb.
WittyBubbles wants its readers to be well informed, and that’s why we’ve put together in this article the advantages and disadvantages of each procedure in order to make the best decision when the baby arrives.
1. How does this happen?
- Natural childbirth: The labor of labor begins with the contractions, which increase in intensity over time until the baby descends through the natural ways and is born.
- Cesarean section : it is a surgical procedure for which one has to open 7 layers of skin in the lower abdomen of the mother to be able to reach the uterus, where is the baby. After birth, the pediatrician checks that everything is fine with the baby while the mother stays in the operating room, receiving sutures on the wound.
2. Reasons to opt for one method or another
- Natural childbirth: this is the way nature intended for human beings to come into the world. When the baby is ready to be born, the contractions begin.
section :initially, it is carried out only in case of medical indication ,in the case where a delivery represents risks for the mother or the child. For example, if the child is not in the right position, if there is a risk of contagion by an illness during delivery, if the mother is in danger, among other reasons. But there are also now caesareans by choice; patients ask the doctor to program the operation for different reasons.
- Natural childbirth: usually when there are no complications, it lasts between 1 and 2 days, the time for the mother to rest and for the medical team to check that the baby and his mother are in perfect condition health.
- Caesarean section: Cesarean sections are surgical procedures and therefore have a longer period of hospitalization, which is usually between 3 and 4 days , the time to give the mother drugs for the pain of the wound, antibiotics and make sure the baby has expelled all the amniotic fluid and presents no problem.
- Natural childbirth : although it is the most recommended, it still presents some risks that vary according to the mother and the pregnancy. There is a likelihood that if there are complications in this one, women will suffer from pelvic prolapse, urinary incontinence or haemorrhage. And in the case where there has been an episiotomy , it can become infected.
- Caesarean section : it is more risky for the mother’s life and it is possible to suffer from excessive bleeding, scars, coagulation, possible infections. In addition, there are the risks of anesthesia as postpartum pain that lasts longer. Technological advances in medicine have made caesareans safer than before and prevented some of the risks.
5. Contact with the baby
- Natural childbirth : the mother recovers more quickly and can have a quick contact with the baby and start breastfeeding immediately. This is beneficial for the child and some studies show that this contact helps the baby to grow safer as it promotes mother-son interaction and learning.
- Caesarean section : the mother has to wait longer before having contact with her baby. The baby is approached a few seconds after the caesarean section and then sees him again hours later. It all depends on the time the woman needs to recover and the medical checks that are done on the child. It can be assumed here that separating the child from the mother provides anxiety and is stressful for the baby.
6. Breathing baby
- Natural childbirth: At the time of delivery, the baby’s rib cage is squeezed against the mother’s natural pathways and this allows her to expel all the amniotic fluid from her lungs. In this way, it adapts more easily to the air and can begin to breathe immediately without problems.
- Caesarean section : The baby may have breathing problems in the first hours after birth because he has more difficulty expelling the amniotic fluid. Often, one must use a suction system to be able to help him eliminate what he could not eliminate from his lungs. Some studies have shown that babies born by caesarean section are more likely to suffer from asthma, allergy, and respiratory diseases than those born during normal birth.
- Natural childbirth : During delivery, it is possible to anesthetize the mother to lessen the pain of contractions, although not all women accept it and choose to give birth without drugs. This also has to do with the length of labor, and many doctors offer this option to their patients when they see that progress is very slow. Mothers can then feel genes the next day but no severe pain.
- Cesarean section : an injection is made in the woman’s back to anesthetize her and lull her body from the waist down to perform the procedure. Once anesthetized, the doctor waits a certain amount of time as a precautionary measure before starting the operation. In the case of a caesarean section, the most intense pain is felt after delivery, waking from anesthesia and the following days.
- Natural childbirth: Each pregnancy is different for each woman and thus labor of delivery can lastup to 10 hours when it is the first time for the mother but it can also last several days after the appearance of the first contractions. The women who gave birth may then have shorter working hours.
- Caesarean section : The surgical procedure can last between 45 and 60 minutes. Once in the block, it is expected that the anesthesia is effective and the baby is removed from the womb in minutes. Then, what takes the most time is the suture of the layers of the skin and the recovery time of the mother.
9. After childbirth
- Natural childbirth : if there are no complications, the mother and baby go to the break room one hour after delivery. Genes or small pains can last for about 7 days but the body will take months to recover and resume its normal size.
- Caesarean section : everything is more painful after surgery and recovery is slower due to surgery. The intense pain of the injury can last up to 10 days and the genes can be present until a month and a half later. In the same way as for a normal childbirth, it takes a while to fully recover.
10. Effect on children
- Natural childbirth: Children have fewer breathing problems, this is one of the most important benefits of natural childbirth. According to some studies, babies born with this type of procedure have a better hormonal and metabolic order because they produce hormones that activate the metabolic system and optimize blood circulation.
- Caesarean section : some studies suggest that children born by Caesarean section are more likely to suffer from allergies, obesity and diabetes.
Remember to always consult your doctor if in doubt. What kind of childbirth do you prefer? Are you already a mother? We would like to know what your experience was in giving birth to your children!
Cover Photo FamVeldman / Depositphotos